Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Medical Assistance & Long-Term Care Planning

Long-Term Care Options and the Long-Term Care Dilemma

As our population ages, more and more of us confront elder law-related issues, whether for ourselves or our parents. One of the most pressing issues is long-term nursing home care, which is often not covered by traditional health insurance. Depending on where you live and the level of care needed, nursing home care can cost up to $100,000 a year. The average stay is slightly more than three years. Most people end up paying for nursing home care until their personal (or family) assets are depleted, then they may qualify for Medicaid to pick up the cost. Not all is lost. Careful planning can help protect your assets, whether for your spouse or for your children.

Wisconsin Medicaid

Medicaid is a joint federal-state program, subject to certain federal requirements. Each state implements its own regulations on how the program is managed. Medicaid is not an entitlement program like Medicare but rather a form of welfare. Medicaid eligibility is determined after the proper application is submitted to the state. Many Medicaid insurance programs are available in Wisconsin, from basic medical coverage to nursing home programs.

Our firm assists seniors, and their families in making tough decisions regarding long-term care planning, including whether Medicaid eligibility is an option.

How We Can Help

Not all methods of protecting assets from nursing home care are lawful. It can be dangerous to attempt to preserve assets on your own. Our firm can help you lawfully conserve your assets, such as your home, so that you and your loved ones may still have something after long-term care expenses. We can help you qualify for vital Medicaid assistance by securely placing your assets elsewhere.


Because Medicaid is complex, navigating through this system on your own could risk the loss of critical benefits. Rely on the professional guidance and legal knowledge of Goyke, Tillisch & Martell, LLP for your case. Call (715) 849-8100 or send us an email to schedule an appointment.